You’re probably thinking of how to choose a domain name. No worries! You’re in the right place. A domain name is the core of your branding strategy. It’s expedient for you to select the right one as this does not only describe your website but also relays vital information about your business to visitors and search engines. With careful thinking and consideration, you can create a domain name that suits your business.
Want to know how to choose a domain name for your business? This article reveals all you need to know about a domain name.
In this article
- Why is your domain name so important?
- How to choose a domain name: Steps to follow
- 1. Choose popular domain name extensions (.com, .org, .net)
- 2. Use keywords that define your website
- 3. Let your domain name be short and concise
- 4. Avoid numbers and hyphens in the domain name
- 5. Research your domain name
- 6. Consider long term over the short term
- 7. Use domain name generators for ideas
- 8. Act on time
- Brandable vs. Generic domain: Which one is best?
- Process of finalizing your domain name
- Final thoughts
Why is your domain name so important?
Since your domain name is the major highlight of your website, it’s essential you carefully think, choose and research one as you are trying to carve out a niche for yourself in the online market. Why do you need to select a domain name painstakingly?
- It creates the first impression of your brand. An ideal domain name should leave a lasting impression on guests while pulling traction to your site. A bad domain name is likely going to be repelling visitors.
- It helps your brand image. Your domain name should enhance your brand visibility. A good one will boost your brand, creating awareness and drawing in customers.
- It gives your business professional credibility while separating you from several get-rich-quick-scheme websites. A premium domain makes your website easily recognized and builds trust in your customers, giving them the impression that your brand is legitimate.
- Boost your search engine ranking. The infusion of keywords in your domain will boost your website’s ranking on the search engine results page (SERP).
Importance of thought into your domain name
Names have great significance hence the need to create a good domain name for your business website and brand. Choosing the right name should be a deliberate act as it can make or mar your business.
How to choose a domain name: Steps to follow
We’ve considered the importance of choosing a domain name, so how can you choose a domain name? Below are ways to go about it.
- Choose popular domain name extensions (.com, .org, .net)
- Use keywords that define your website.
- Let your domain name be short and precise.
- Avoid numbers and hyphens in the domain name.
- Research your domain name.
- Consider the long term over the short term.
- Use domain generators for ideas.
- Act on time.
If you can follow these 8 steps, then there is nothing to worry about on how to choose a domain name. Definitely, you will select the right domain name for your business.
Let’s consider these points one by one.
1. Choose popular domain name extensions (.com, .org, .net)
Choose the right domain extension that fits your business. “.com” remains the most popular and memorable one. This is supported by research by Domain Name Stat, which reports that 43% of all domains have the “.com” extension.
Though there are other websites with other extensions, “.com” will be a nice fit for your website as it will boost your brand. Don’t take unusual extensions like “.blog”, “.pizza”, and others. Below are some recognizable extensions and how they’re usually used:
- .me works well with blogs, resumes, or personal sites.
- .info is often used for informational sites.
- .org for nonprofits organizations
2. Use keywords that define your website
Keywords give a clue about what your website is about and the services you offer. These keywords, alongside quality content and a user-friendly interface, help your SEO ranking. Be careful not to stuff keywords in your domain so it doesn’t become too generic. Be creative about your domain so it can stand out. Need help with keywords? Use tools like Google Keyword Planner and Keyword tool.
3. Let your domain name be short and concise
How to choose a domain name? Well, it must be short and concise so that would be easily able to remember.
Based on research by DataGenetics.com, the most widely used name length is about 12 characters. Though keywords are essential, one shouldn’t go over the top with the domain length. An ideal one will be about 6-14 characters.
Longer domains are usually hard to recall and can be misspelled or mistyped, leading to traffic loss. It’s best to keep it short and simple. Can’t find a short domain? Try making it brandable.
4. Avoid numbers and hyphens in the domain name
Hyphenated domain names can be spammed, and not everyone wants to be associated with such. Try as much as possible not to insert numbers and hyphens in your domain. This makes you lose traffic to typos if the numbers and hyphens are misconstrued for another thing. Just stick to a simple domain name, and you wouldn’t have to worry about typos.
5. Research your domain name
Before you choose a domain name, ensure it’s not been used by some other person or business. Make sure you do your findings so you don’t get yourself embroiled in some legal mess. You can conduct a Google search or trademark search to check the name’s availability on social media platforms. Is the domain name taken? You can tweak it to make it original.
6. Consider long term over the short term
If you’ve built a domain, it’s about time you think long-term as a domain name is the foundation of your business. Consider the changes you’ll likely make in the nearest future. You might want to change your domain, and niche among other things. So, you must ponder on your long-term vision before choosing a domain name.
7. Use domain name generators for ideas
By now, you should have an idea of what you want your domain name to be like. Presently, there are over 360 million registered domain names according to VeriSign, Inc. in this report. This means that there’s a probability that the words you want to use in your domain have been used or trademarked. To make this search easy, make use of domain generators. With these tools, one can craft suitable domain names. Some of these domain name generators include the following:
- Nameboy: This ranks among the oldest and most common ones online. In this case, you enter your keywords, and the tool analyzes them and suggests the ideal domain name ideas for your brand.
- Wordoid: Here, the tool provides ideas that contain the exact words entered, either the ones that start with the word or end with it.
- DomainHole: With this tool, you can search keywords, create new names, discover expired domains, and others.
- Lean Domain Search: This domain name generator matches your keyword with other keywords to form a list of domains available.
8. Act on time
Once you’ve found your desired domain name, act promptly. Domain names sell out fast, like real estate. If you don’t take prompt action, someone else can proceed to obtain that particular domain idea. While domain names are relatively inexpensive, you must act fast. Also, look for popular domain registrars.
With hundreds of domain registrars online, you need to carefully decide on web hosting, pricing, and other factors. Learning how to choose a domain name for your blog can seem like a daunting task, but following the above tips will make it worthwhile.
Brandable vs. Generic domain: Which one is best?
A brandable and innovative domain does help your brand compared to a generic one. Visitors will access your website through the domain name, which is the bedrock of your brand.
How does a brandable domain differ from a generic name?
A brandable domain is distinct and can be distinguished from other competition. A generic domain name is often infused with keywords, and this makes it difficult to memorize.
Site names like Sportgame.com and Sportscourse.com seem too generic compared to websites such as rugbysports.net, which indicates a type of sports.
Are you searching for a brandable domain name? Here are a few tips that will be helpful.
- Generate new words: You can create new words with good hooks like Google, Yahoo, and Bing.
- Adopt the use of common words: Look for intriguing words that suit your brand in the thesaurus.
- Create a new domain using domain generators: With these tools, you can create a distinct, brandable domain from existing keywords and domain ideas. Some of these domain generators include Wordoid and DomainHolr among others.
Process of finalizing your domain name
While we can’t choose a domain name for your website, we can give you a step-by-step guide on how to choose a deliberately thought-out domain name. There’s no one-rule thumb to selecting a domain, just guidelines to help you with your choice.
A. Choose one or more keywords that represent your site
From your name to your brand name, there are several ways to create domain name ideas. In your selection, ensure you go for a strong keyword as it’s the primary component of a functional domain name. Just as you use keywords in your content, do the same in your domain name. These keywords help in SEO ranking while driving traffic to your website. They also help visitors get a grasp of your niche and what your brand represents.
B. Use a domain name generator to get possible keyword options
Domain name generators ease the stress of having to worry about the domain. This works by entering the keyword in the search box. For example, you’re about to start a blog on how to bake. You can choose baking as your keyword and input it in the search box. The results you’ll receive are domains related to baking. Scroll through the results and make your choice. In creating a website, you need to get the hang of how to choose a domain name.
C. Choose the best domain name based on some factors
To aid your selection and decision, ensure your domain meets the following criteria:
- A clear and concise domain will be easy to type and remember compared to a long one.
- A domain name should be creative and easy to memorize unique domains are relatively notable.
- A domain name should be easy to pronounce and comprehend. The use of letters and characters in your domain creates confusion.
D. Register your new domain name
Upon choosing a domain name and extension, the next thing to do is buy a domain name through a hosting provider. You can choose to buy the domain while signing up for a web hosting plan or through a reputable registrar. Some popular domain registrars include GoDaddy, Bluehost, and HostGator, among others.
Know the in-depth process of how to create a business website.
By now, you have an in-depth understanding of how to choose a domain name. In choosing your domain, ensure you do your research well for better results. Bear in mind that an ideal name should be catchy, short, and concise. It should also be memorable and easy to type.
For good SEO ranking, use a keyword-based domain. Your domain should also be unique, conveying the right information about your brand. You can use a domain name generator to create domain ideas. While there are various domain extensions to choose from, .com is highly recommended for your domain. Never forget, online success begins with a great domain. Make it worth it!
In choosing a domain name, do the following:
- Use keywords that reflect your website.
- Use domain name generators for possible keyword options.
- Select domain names that comply with basic criteria.
- Register the domain name with the web hosting provider.
Have any questions about domain names? Don’t hesitate to drop your comments below.