In today’s digital landscape, where Google’s automated ranking systems aim to prioritize content that truly benefits users, it’s imperative to create content that is not only informative but also authentic and valuable.
To ensure that your content ranks higher and surpasses other websites, we’ll delve into key strategies and practices for producing exceptional content that resonates with both search engines and your audience.
Self-Assess Your Content
Before diving into the intricacies of creating stellar content, it’s essential to conduct a self-assessment of your articles. This evaluation helps you determine whether your content is helpful and reliable. Besides your own perspective, consider seeking feedback from trusted individuals who are unaffiliated with your site. This collaborative approach can uncover areas of improvement and elevate your content quality.
Content and Quality Questions
- Originality: Strive to provide original information, research, reporting, or insightful analysis.
- Completeness: Ensure your content offers a substantial, comprehensive description of the topic.
- Insight: Go beyond the obvious by providing insightful analysis and interesting information.
- Citation and Value: If you reference other sources, avoid mere copying or rewriting. Add substantial value and originality.
- Title Clarity: The main heading or page title should offer a descriptive, helpful summary of the content.
- Avoid Exaggeration: Titles should steer clear of exaggeration or shock value.
- Shareability: Create content that readers would want to bookmark, share with friends, or recommend.
- Publication Quality: Strive for content that could be featured in printed magazines, encyclopedias, or books.
- Value Comparison: Ensure your content delivers substantial value compared to other pages in search results.
- Accuracy: Maintain high standards by eliminating spelling and stylistic issues.
- Production Quality: High-quality content should appear well-produced, avoiding any appearance of haste or sloppiness.
- Avoid Mass Production: Refrain from mass-producing content by outsourcing to numerous creators or spreading it across a vast network of sites.
Expertise is a crucial element that builds trust with your audience and helps your content stand out. Consider these factors to bolster the credibility of your articles:
- Authorship Clarity: Clearly indicate who authored your content and, where appropriate, use bylines.
- Author Background: If possible, provide background information about the author’s expertise, linking to an author’s page or site’s “About” page.
- Author Trustworthiness: Make sure the content is written or reviewed by experts who demonstrably know the topic well.
- Fact-Checking: Eliminate easily-verified factual errors to maintain credibility.
Ensuring a Great Page Experience
To rank well on Google, it’s essential to provide a great page experience for users. Google’s core ranking systems evaluate various aspects of page experience. Ensure your content checks these boxes:
- Mobile-Friendly: Optimize your content for mobile devices.
- Fast Loading: Prioritize fast loading times for your website.
- Secure Connection: Use HTTPS to protect user data.
- Interactivity: Create engaging and interactive content for users.
For an in-depth understanding of page experience, refer to Google’s “Understanding page experience in Google Search results.“
To outperform competitors, your focus should be on creating people-first content that genuinely benefits users. Evaluate your content against these principles:
- Audience Focus: Cater to an existing or intended audience who would find your content valuable.
- Demonstrated Expertise: Showcase first-hand expertise and in-depth knowledge.
- Primary Purpose: Ensure your site has a clear primary purpose or focus.
- User Satisfaction: Strive to leave readers with a satisfying and informative experience.
Avoid Creating Search Engine-First Content
Steer clear of creating content primarily to attract search engine visits. Instead, focus on the user’s needs and interests. Avoid the following practices:
- Keyword Stuffing: Don’t overuse keywords in an attempt to manipulate rankings.
- Automated Content: Avoid excessive automation to produce content on various topics.
- Trend Chasing: Don’t write about topics solely because they are trending if they don’t align with your audience’s interests.
- Low-Value Content: Refrain from summarizing others without adding value.
- Word Count Obsession: Don’t aim for a specific word count merely for the sake of it.
- Lack of Expertise: Avoid entering niche topics without genuine expertise.
- False Promises: Don’t make claims that cannot be verified.
SEO and People-First Content
While SEO plays a role in helping search engines discover your content, it should always complement people-first content. Google’s own SEO guide covers best practices for creating content that is both SEO-friendly and user-focused.
E-A-T, or Expertise, Authoritativeness, and Trustworthiness, are essential aspects for ranking well in search results. Focus on these factors to enhance the trustworthiness of your content.
Creating exceptional content that surpasses competitors requires a holistic approach. By evaluating your content from various angles and adhering to people-first principles, you can achieve higher rankings and provide a valuable experience for your users.